Thursday, February 14, 2013

I'm convinced that...



         I'm convinced that my life has objective meaning in my subjective choices in that I see objectively how my choices  turn out. I garden and flowers emerge. I find them beautiful. Others do too. Ti's irrelevant that they don't last forever. I have found purpose in their blooming, so why should I whine that they don't last forever/
        WLC and the Convince Me can whine that why, should naturalism be true, then their lives have no ultimate meaning as though that meaning could further validate their own lives.
        As Inquiring Lynn, I state:" Life is its own validation and reward and ultimate meaning that neither God nor the future state can further validate."
        Ti's our own ultimate meaning for our lives for us to give, not God. We are not His "things" to which He could give  meaning and purpose. What repugnance to humanity!
             For theists ultimate means beyond the grave, but for us naturalists, ti's what we ourselves want our own lives to mean.
            Ti's no concern of mine about the future disappearance of the Universe for  me to have meaning. That has no ultimate meaning for my life!
            That " ultimate meaning" is  just theists whining that they must die. Lo: what has that to do with eudemonia- human flourishing?
             Aristotle is right that eudemonia - human flourishing-counts as meaningful. Epicurus finds that eudemonia involves pleasure. Unlike Aristippus' form of hedonism, this pleasure does not mean eat, drink and be merry without concern for the long range eudemonia. Epicurus and John Stuart Mill include the pursuit of knowledge as part of pleasure. I find that no tension exists betwixt the various pleasures -no higher and  lower ones.
             I find it meaningful to eat sweet potatoes and to read philosophy of religion. Why call the former the lower and the latter the higher? Why should I make that distinction? I find my life meaningful whatever I do for whatever amount of time. Different pleasures during the day makes a life more eudemonic.
            I flourish by how I conduct myself . I require no God to give me a sense of eudemonia.
            To find meaning and purpose for your life, study Albert Ellis' " The Myth of Self-Esteem, where He takes on whining as " mustabatory"- that sense that one just must have something or else poor ole me, and Robert Price's " The Reason- Driven Life," where he expatiate how reason can aid us in finding that eudemonia - each of us how to flourish.

       These two men offer that more abundant life with meaning that theists just cannot fathom without their Being Itself, Sky Pappy! We need no celestial dictator to give our lives meaning and purpose!

                     Do you find your life meaningful and purposeful and why?

                 












No comments:

Post a Comment